The bull ring was inaugurated on September 7(date on which the sea procession is held in honour of Our Lady of the Port) of the year 1907. The architect was Mario Camiño and the foreman, Leoncio Alonso. The square is built using dressed limestone blocks and buttresses, forming a wall to protect the town from the sea. The square is divided up into eight tiers, four in the sunlight and four in the shade, with the bull pens and arenas opposite the seat of the President.
It contains: The municipal Art Gallery and Tourist Office
This palace, built in the 19th century, was erected by Juan Manuel de Manzanedo González, who was born on the isle of Cuba and made the island rich through his commercial activities. A reputed patron and benefactor of his countrymen, he founded the Manzaneda Institute in Santoña, which played a vital part in educating the citizens of the town.
The palace, designed and built in 1864 by the architect Antonio Ruiz de Salces, is formed by two buildings: the palace and the carriage-house. The first is a simple structure, prismatic and almost squarein shape, in a Neoclassic style. It is built in plastered masonry and the dressed stone blocks are only visible at the base, corners and in the bays.
This was first set up in 1861 as the School of Saint John the Baptist and also constructed under the technical supervision of Antonio Ruiz de Salces. The building is formed by external walls of dressed stone blocks. Inside, is a private chapel and a pantheon where the members of the family of the Marquis are buried. The main façade is Neoclassic in style and includes an astronomer’s observatory and a large clock that crowns the building.
A Baroque construction dating fromg the 17th century with an extraordinary façade.
It was a military hospital, and later during the Civil War of 1936, a prison, and finally, after the war, a school. It was declared a Provincial Historic and Artistic Monument in 1977.
The columns of Hercules supported on a block with the ship Santa María
Bust of Juan de la Cosa
Built by A. Hernández Morales in 1949.
A block bearing the ship Santa María, owned by the cartographer and sailor from Santoña, Juan de la Cosa, author of the first mapa mundi in 1500 and joint discoverer of America together with Columbus, supported on two Doric columns representing the columns of Hercules.
At the foot of the monument is a bust of the sailor and two plaques, designed by J. M. Porta de la Lama.
Some of the works of the sculptor from Santoña, Víctor de los Ríos can be seen in the town, of which the most important are those in Paseo Camilo José Cela, and the park of the Palace.
Palace of Manzanedo, S/N - 39740 SANTOÑA - Tel.y Fax: 942660066 - E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening hours: Monday to Saturday, from 10.00 to 14.00 and from 17.00 to 20.00 Sundays, from 11.00 to 14.00